Key to Exercise 15, The New Pali Course (Part I)
Translate into English
1. Mayaṃ gāviyā khīraṃ, khīramhā dadhiṃ, dadhimhā sappiñ ca labhāma.
We get milk from the cow, curd from milk, and ghee from curd.
2. Mātā dhītuyā akkhīsu assūni disvā (tassā) vadanaṃ vārinā dhovi.
Having seen tears in the eyes of the daughter, the mother washed her face with water.
tassā: of her
dhovati: to wash, rinse, cleanse, purify
3. Kasmā tvaṃ ajja vāpiṃ gantvā puna nadiṃ gantuṃ icchasi?
You have been to the tank today; why do you wish to go to the river again?
4. Kathaṃ tava bhātaro nadiyā padumāni ocinitvā āharissanti?
Having collected lotuses from the river, how will your brothers bring (them)?
5. Addhā te dhanūni ādāya vanaṃ pavisitvā migaṃ māretvā ānessanti.
Certainly they will take bows, enter the forest, kill and bring the deer back.
6. Amhākaṃ pitaro tadā vanamhā madhuṃ āharitvā dadhinā saha bhuñjiṃsu.
Then our fathers brought honey from the forest and ate (it) with curd.
7. Mayaṃ suve tumhehi vinā araññaṃ gantvā dārūni bhañjissāma.
Tomorrow we will go to the forest without you and break firewood.
bhañjati: to break
8. Kumārā sīghaṃ dhāvitvā vāpiyaṃ kīlitvā sanikaṃ gehāni agamiṃsu.
Having run quickly and played in the tank, the boys went home slowly.
9. Tumhe khīraṃ pivituṃ icchatha, athavā dadhiṃ bhuñjituṃ?
Would you like to drink milk or eat curd?
10. Yāva mayhaṃ pitā nahāyissati tāva ahaṃ idha tiṭṭhāmi.
I will stay here till my father bathes.
11. Yathā bhūpati āṇāpeti tathā tvaṃ kātuṃ icchasi?
Do you wish to do in the way as the king commands?
āṇāpeti: to order, command
yathā… tathā: the same… as, like… as, as… so
12. Āma, ahaṃ bhūpatino vacanaṃ atikkamituṃ na sakkomi.
Yes, I cannot surpass the king’s word.
vacana: (n) word, speaking, utterance
atikkamati: to surpass, overcome, conquer; to go beyond, pass over, cross
Translate into Pali
1. Do you like to drink milk or to eat curd?
Tvaṃ khīraṃ pātuṃ icchasi, athavā dadhiṃ bhuñjituṃ?
Tumhe khīraṃ pivituṃ icchatha, athavā dadhiṃ bhuñjituṃ?
2. First I will drink gruel and then eat curd with honey.
Ahaṃ paṭhamaṃ yāguṃ pivitvā pacchā madhunā saha dadhiṃ bhuñjissāmi.
3. Go quickly to the market to bring some ghee.
Tvaṃ sappiṃ āharituṃ sīghaṃ āpaṇaṃ gaccha /gacchāhi.
āpaṇa: (m) a bazaar, shop, market
4. Having bathed in the sea why do you like to go again there now?
Kasmā tvaṃ sindhumhi nahātvā idāni puna tattha gantuṃ icchasi?
5. Do you know how our fathers gathered honey from the forests?
Kathaṃ amhākaṃ pitaro aṭavīhi /vanehi madhuṃ ociniṃsu tvaṃ jānāsi?
6. I will stay on the river bank till you cross the river and come back.
Yāva tvaṃ nadiṃ taritvā paccāgacchasi tāva ahaṃ nadikūlamhi ṭhassāmi
paccāgacchati: [paṭi+āgacchati] to fall back on, return again, come back to (acc.)
tiṭṭhati: fut. ṭhassati
7. My mother-in-law went to the city without her retinue and returned with a sister.
Mama sassu tassā parisāya vinā nagaraṃ gantvā bhaginiyā saha paccāgami.
8. The millionaire fell on (his) knees before the king and bowed down at his feet.
Seṭṭhī bhūpatino purato jānūhi patitvā tassa pādesu vandi.
9. Is your horse able to run fast?
Tava asso sīghaṃ dhāvituṃ sakkoti?
10. Yes, certainly it will run fast.
Āma, addhā so sīghaṃ dhāvissati.
11. Having gone to the forest, with bows in hands, our brothers killed an elephant and cut its tusks.
Amhākaṃ bhātaro hatthesu dhanūhi aṭaviṃ gantvā hatthiṃ māretvā tassa dante chindiṃsu.
danta: (m) a tooth, a tusk, fang, esp. an elephants tusk; ivory
12. Why does your father walk slowly on the sand?
Kasmā tava pitā sanikaṃ vālukāyaṃ /puline carati?
下一則： Key to Exercise 14, The New Pali Course (Part I)