Key to Exercise 8, The New Pali Course (Part I)
Translate into English
1. Mantī hatthinaṃ āruhissati.
The minister will mount the elephant.
2. Mayaṃ seṭṭhino gehaṃ gamissāma.
We will go to the millionaire’s house.
3. Tvaṃ sāmino puttassa kapiṃ dadissasi.
You will give the monkey to the lord’s son.
You will give the son’s monkey to the lord.
4. Gaṇino sukhino bhavissanti.
Those who have a host of followers will be happy.
5. Amhākaṃ sāmino dīghajīvino na bhavanti.
Our lords are not possessors of a long life.
6. Pāpakārī yaṭṭhinā bhogiṃ māresi.
The evil-doer killed the snake with a stick.
7. Mama puttā seṭṭhino gāme vasissanti.
My sons will live in the village of the millionaire.
8. Kuṭṭhī sārathino pādaṃ yaṭṭhinā pahari.
The leper struck the charioteer’s foot with a stick.
9. Sikhī chattimhā bhāyissati.
The peacock will fear the possessor of an umbrella.
10. Sārathī asse gāmamhā harissati.
The charioteer will carry the horses from the village.
11. Tumhe mālīhi sasinaṃ olokessatha.
You will look at the moon with the people who wear a garland.
12. Balī dāṭhino kāyaṃ chindissati.
The powerful man will cut the body of the tusker.
13. Amhākaṃ mantino balino abhaviṃsu.
Our ministers were powerful.
14. Seṭṭhino mālino passissanti.
The millionaires will see the people who wear a garland.
15. Mayaṃ gehe odanaṃ bhuñjissāma.
We will eat rice at home (in the house).
Translate into Pali
1. Our lord went to the minister.
Amhākaṃ sāmī mantiṃ gacchi /gami.
2. The millionaire will be the possessor of a long life.
Seṭṭhī dīghajīvī bhavissati.
3. Evil-doers will not become receivers of comfort.
Pāpakārino sukhino na bhavissanti.
4. The tusker will strike the leper.
Dāṭhī kuṭṭhiṃ paharissati.
5. The minister will get a peacock from the lord.
Mantī sāminā /sāmimhā /sāmismā sikhiṃ labhissati.
6. The charioteer will buy horses for the minister.
Sārathī mantino /mantissa asse kiṇissati.
7. My peacocks will live on the mountain.
Mama sikhino girimhi vasissanti.
8. The serpents will bite the powerful.
Bhogino balino ḍasissanti.
9. The lord's sons will see the lions of the millionaire.
Sāmissa /Sāmino puttā seṭṭhissa /seṭṭhino sīhe passissanti.
10. We will buy a deer from the guest.
Mayaṃ atithimhā migaṃ kiṇissāma.
11. The elephant killed a man with (its) feet.
Hatthī /Karī pādehi naraṃ māresi.
12. You will not be a millionaire.
Tvaṃ seṭṭhī na bhavissasi.
13. The king's sons will eat with the ministers.
Bhūpatino /Bhūpālassa puttā mantībhi bhuñjissanti.
14. The monkeys will not fall from the tree.
Kapayo rukkhamhā na patissanti.
15. I will not carry the elephant of the charioteer.
Ahaṃ sārathissa /sārathino hatthiṃ /kariṃ na harissāmi.
下一則： Key to Exercise 7, The New Pali Course (Part I)